To restore and conserve the historical functions and vitality of the Rio Grande in Colorado for improved water quality, agricultural water use, riparian health, wildlife and aquatic species habitat, recreation and community safety while meeting the requirements of the Rio Grande Compact.
Our Vision for the Rio Grande:
- High quality water throughout the Rio Grande in Colorado;
- Sufficient sustainable flow for sediment transport, native riparian vegetation, aquatic and wildlife habitats, and for meeting Rio Grande Compact obligations;
- Supports an existing agricultural lifestyle;
- Contributes to groundwater recharge;
- Enhances and sustains the aesthetic and recreational values for the residents and vistors to the watershed;
- Connects the floodplain with oxbows and is naturally sinuous; and
- Any development is conducted using low impact principles, protecting water quality and the natural function of the floodplain.